Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 31-40 minutes
- 450g undyed smoked haddock
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green cardamom pods split in half
- ¼tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 350g basmati rice
- 600ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas mark 6
- Wrap the haddock in foil, place on a baking tray and put in the oven for 8 minutes or until cooked through – it’s ready when it flakes easily with a fork. When cooked, remove from the oven and flake into chunks.
- While the haddock is cooking, heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onion for 3 minutes until softened. Add the cardamom, turmeric and cinnamon, and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the rice and stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for around 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, stir in the flaked haddock and stir through the parsley. Divide the kedgeree between 4 plates, top with the hard-boiled egg and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Fish is the Dish