- 1kg mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 2 tablesp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablesp. smoked paprika
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 125ml water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the smoked paprika and chilli and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, 125ml water, salt and pepper, increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, shaking the saucepan a few times until the mussels have opened. Discard any that have not opened.