- 1kg mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 2 sticks of lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 5cm ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teasp. turmeric
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 1 teasp. fish sauce
- Zest and juice of one lime
- 400ml tin of coconut milk
- Fresh coriander
- Crusty bread
- Put the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, chilli, ginger, garlic, turmeric, pinch of brown sugar, fish sauce, zest and juice of lime into a mini blender and whizz together, add 2 tablespoons of water and blend to a paste.
- Transfer the paste and the coconut milk in to a large saucepan and cook on a low-medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mussels into the sauce, cover and cook over a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, shaking the saucepan a few times until the mussels have opened. Discard any that have not opened.