For the cranberry jam:
8 oz smoked bacon 225g, streaky bacon
1 clove garlic large
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 cup cranberries 45g, fresh or frozen defrosted
a few grinds of pepper
- Slice the bacon and fry in a small/medium skillet over a medium-high heat until the fat is starting to render, stirring regularly, around 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan. Cook, stirring regularly until the onions have softened and gone translucent and the bacon is crisping, another roughly 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, water, molasses, cranberries and pepper and stir in well. Once it boils, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for around 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is nicely sticky.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool around 15-20 minutes before pulsing a few times in a food processor to break up the chunks but leaving some texture.This can all be done in advance.
- While the jam is cooling or when ready to cook and serve,
- In the same pan after or alongside in another pan, heat a little butter and fry the scallops around 3 minutes each side until gently brown (may be more, depending on thickness/heat of pan). Try to only turn them over once to get a nice caramelized sear on them, top with a little spoonful of cranberry bacon jam and serve.