- 4x Mourne Fishbox Mackerel fillets
- 2 tbsp plain four, seasoned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 1/2 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 orange, juiced, plus 1/2 zested
- 1 lemon, 1/2 finely zested and juiced, 1/2 cut into wedges, to serve
- 250ml (8fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 x 31g flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 slices Mediterranean bread, toasted
On a large plate, coat the mackerel in the seasoned flour. In a large frying pan, heat half the oil. Fry the mackerel, skinside down, for 2 minutes. Flip over and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the pan.
Using the same pan, heat the remaining oil. Cook the onion, garlic and fennel, until softened.
Add the chickpeas, citrus juices, stock and chilli, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half; season. Return the fish to the pan to warm through.
Combine the parsley, orange zest and lemon zest in a bowl.
Divide the chickpea mixture between 2 plates and top each with 2 mackerel fillets. Scatter over the parsley and zest mixture. Serve with the toasted bread for mopping up all the juices.